Comprehensive Dental Clearance Program
Why does Dental Clearance improve patient outcomes?
- High levels of disease-causing bacteria in the mouth can lead to prosthetic valve infections as well as lead to clogging of the carotid artery and increased risk of heart attack.
- Bacteria in the mouth can spead throughout the blood stream and settle in joints making this area susceptible to infection
- Infection from poor dental health is the result of joint replacements needing revision in 7 percent of the cases.
- 70 % of adults have periodontal disease, which may lead to a longer and stronger course of antibiotics before, during or after surgery.
- Dental Clearance improves patient outcomes by lowering the risk of problems that develop from poor oral hygiene. Also loose teeth are assessed and extracted to reduce further complications.
A )Is gum disease killing your patient? R. A. Seymour BDJ volume206, pages551–552 (23 May 2009) doi:10.1038/sj.bdj.2009.472
B)Dental Management of the Medically Compromised Patient JW Little, D Falace, C Miller, NL Rhodus - 2017